Sunday, February 14, 2010

To be like Jesus in pain

I don’t know what I saw the other day. Half of me wishes to know so I could dispel the rampant horror stories going through my head, but the other half of me knows that if I really knew, I would probably hate.

Melissa and I were walking on a footpath along the river, heading to a friend’s house. I was in the middle of speaking when something made me look across the river to the other bank. Thinking back, I assume it was the commotion that turned my attention there. What I saw was a man with a large bamboo pole beating a woman who was lying on the ground; several people stood around. She was screaming. The screams were distant to my ears, but I heard them clearly enough.

“Oh, God.” I gasped, but by the time Melissa saw where I was looking, the beating was over.

What had I seen? I was terrified, but it wasn’t for myself that I was terrified. It was a scene I wanted to still be a world away from. Sickness rose in the pit of my stomach, and I looked away, but then I looked back. What was happening?

More screaming and yelling. The man was circling the woman on the ground. I looked away. I looked back. He threw the pole down and started yanking at a tarp the woman was lying on.

My heart was beating wildly. I know my pace sped up. What was going to happen to the woman? Was she alive? And I was sick inside.

Disbelief wanted to set in immediately because I didn’t want what I saw to be true. Maybe it wasn’t what I thought it was. Maybe that wasn’t a woman on the ground . . . Melissa didn’t see it, so maybe my own stress within the culture is projecting out what is not there . . .

It’s the fact that humanity has been degraded. It’s the fact that humanity is not seen in a beating, that the image of a Creator “whose love endures forever” is nowhere near that portrayal of mankind. It’s that I know this happens over and over everywhere around the world, but it’s also that here, in this new world that I am walking in, it’s acceptable . . . well, maybe not acceptable, but it’s accepted.

Oh, God, what do you do with this? What do you do when humanity becomes animal and no trace of your character remains?

I can do nothing, and I feel trapped. I know truth that sets people free, but in this situation, I can do nothing. I don’t even know what I saw. My insides churn; my heart aches.

And then I remember what someone said to me when I related feeling helpless in a brothel room not being able to communicate or to fly the girls away. He said that when I am in a room and want to be like Jesus, it’s not just in the giving of hope or love that I become Jesus to others; it’s also in the suffering and feeling what they feel that I become like Jesus.

Jesus, if this is where you lead, help me not to become skittish and flee. If bearing pain means becoming like you, make me more like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment