Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Heating Up

I am beginning to wonder if I am not the frog in the pot that’s about to boil . . . slowly, slowly it heats up until it’s boiling and you’re cooked without ever realizing what’s happening.


Despite knowing what’s happening, though, I can’t prevent it. Darn that.


When I first got to Kolkata at the end of January, sweaters and warm pants were necessary—especially at night. When Melissa and I got to Dhaka, it was still sometimes cool, even to the point where I had a blanket I covered with at night. The blanket is gone now as is the sheet for the most part. The fans are now on, and I find that as I am writing this early in the morning, I am still sweating slightly as I am sitting beneath the fan.


Gosh, the humidity hasn’t even come yet.


This is not complaining—I will do my best not to complain. I have never been in Asia during the hottest, wettest months. This is going to be quite an adventure.


Yesterday a new month of classes began. Last week we took our test to see where we were level-wise. At first I was a little nervous because the word “test” just has that effect. However, I found out that here at language school I simply have to get above a 30% to pass to the next class.


Just so you know, I passed with flying colors (for here, anyway . . . maybe not for Indiana Wesleyan's nursing program).


Life stays interesting. The other day I accompanied a Pakistani girl to a design institute so she could get admission papers. I went because her sister was sick and she’s not allowed going alone (even though her driver was with her). After that we went to our friend, Sue’s house who is in our class. She is from Texas, so she was treating three of us American girls and one Pakistani girl to Mexican-food-cooking lessons at her house. The whole time we are cooking and jabbering away in the kitchen, I wondered what this experience is like to a Pakistani girl . . . I’ll never really know.


Please keep my Pakistani friend in your prayers.


And if you send up any prayers on my behalf, I would be grateful.


Always with hope.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the language exam...new languages are tough. Chinese has been kicking my butt lately, but each day you learn a little more. I know what you mean about the heat, we've had a few hot days here in Taiwan this past week and it's only the beginning. I love reading your updates and you're definitely in our thoughts and prayers.
    -Jess & Dan

    ReplyDelete