Monday, March 22, 2010

Talking about the weather

Well, I said earlier that I felt like the frog in the pot that's about to boil. Yes, well, my sentiments are still the same, only, it is now even more evident that I am the frog in the pot, which makes me even more nervous about the pot boiling.

Today it reached 100. And next week is going to be the same. And I have heard through rumor that May is the pinnacle month for distressingly hot weather. Oh, glorious day.

It is definitely bearable . . . but the humidity is picking up. I've never lived through this, so when I wake up at night now when the power is cut, I lay awake pondering what the situation will be in a month when the power is cut more frequently and the heat and humidity are even higher. It's weird: as soon as the fan stops, I wake up.

Last week is rained hard for an evening. During the rain, the air cooled and was cleaned. That night I slept so blessedly with the window open. The next morning when all the teachers got to school, the principal asked me if "sheela hoeche?" which means "did it hail?" Yes, hail is called sheila. I feel so special.

This Friday, Melissa and I will be flying to Nepal for a week. We are going on a visa run, which simply means we have to leave B-desh so we can come back again. Many countries require visitors to leave every so many days (every 180 days for B-desh). We are leaving now because we have a break in school. The break will be good because both Melissa and I are feeling a wall of Bangla-learning coming up. For me, frustration comes just a little quicker than it should, and moments of discouragement are easier to come by. Leaving for a week will be good for our hearts and minds.

There is a huge praise with this. I have heard from our British friends that it is only the Americans who are able to get long visas (mine is good for 5 years). So, our visa run is simply to leave B-desh. We do not have to go to the embassy to work out any issues; we get to simply enjoy the rest.

I appreciate your thoughts and prayers!

Always with hope . . .

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sheila! I'm working night shift and will be reading your blog during the slow hours:) Keep pressing on with language school... it is so hard but you can do it! Much love my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh girl! i can't handle the heat. you're my hero.

    ReplyDelete