Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I'm back to Kolkata.

On arrival, I waited until the conveyor belt stopped, telling me that although there were no hitches to my arriving safely to K-town, the same was not true for my luggage. Alas, for the first time while traveling overseas, my luggage did not make it. Poo.

However, waiting for me outside the airport were the WMF staffers, and a whole lot of welcome. The feel in the air was not what I remembered because I have never been here while it is "cold" (50's-60's); most everything else feels slightly familiar. It doesn't seem like a lot has changed with the exceptions of new stops on the metro (extending farther than Tollygunge, for my old Servant Team who might care), new buses around the city (that might even have a/c, I'm told), and green rickshaws (rather than black & yellow--those are now outlawed). The streets are still very crowded, the horns are still blaring constantly, and the food is just as spicy.

Today we called the airport and found out my bags had arrived--I just had to go clear them through customs. We went to the airport and other than running around a little to find the Air India offices, we had no difficulty. My bags were intact. Thank God for my luggage! I felt like I was receiving a gift today . . . it was very fun to unpack.

Tomorrow bright and early we leave for South India. From now until Melissa and I leave for Bangladesh, we will be traveling a lot. It feels more like vacation right now than it does a big life move. All the transition is going well. I am feeling pretty okay.

Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers!

Until next time, always with hope.

3 comments:

  1. Sheila, it is so good to read your thoughts. We are thinking of you a lot! Green rickshaws...amazing. :)
    Lara and Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila! I'm so glad you made it. Sounds like you are having a good time. You are on such an adventure. Please please keep us posted. This makes me want to come see you so much more! Love you!
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheila, glad to read you are safe. Thanks for keeping your peeps informed.

    ReplyDelete