Tuesday, January 26, 2010

On the move.

This past weekend in Chennai, the k-town staff was with the Nepali, Thai and Chennai staff. We had many meals and meetings together, gathering updates and prayers from one another. In the current of these events, there were many languages being spoken and translated. It was so beautiful. One of the Nepali staff commented after he had translated for one of the Bengali staff, "A Bengali speaking in Hindi while a Nepali translates into English." It was great.

We were by the beach in Chennai, soaking in the sun and warm weather. Kolkata has been in the 60's mostly. Not bad, but chilly in the evenings. We arrived back late, late Sunday night (Monday morning). In the morning we saw off the Nepali staff.

These past two days have been preparing and gathering what I need for Bangladesh. Today is India's Republic Day, a holiday. I woke up to very loud music blaring that has not stopped all day. Where I am staying, the flat is on the 5th floor, but the height of a building does not diminish noise. Last night as I was going to sleep, I had the feeling of trying to fall asleep at a tractor pull . . . and that's only a slight exaggeration.

I think I am over jet lag by now. I am feeling good during the day and at night I sleep well. Walking the streets hasn't felt nearly as foreign as it did two years ago, but it still takes so much getting used to--all the stares, all the crowds, all the pushing. I find myself getting defensive too easily when someone tries to push past me in line, and then I remind myself to let the fight go; it's not worth getting upset over. Right now I am able to keep a balanced perspective because I have not been here long. I think my fight lies deeper within. What I know happens, though, is the longer I am here, the more quickly the fight comes out. I just keep praying for a soft heart always. And then I pray that I keep praying that . . .

Tomorrow, bright and early, my teammate, Melissa, and I head for the border. We travel by bus to Bangladesh where we will be spending the next four months. New adventures are coming our way. School begins Sunday.

If I pop into your mind, send a quick prayer up for me in learning this language. I need to be confident and outgoing, both of which are difficult for someone who hates to make a fool of herself. Silly me.

Always with hope . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment